Monday, July 19, 2010

SuperMario Mania

IMG_6533

As promised, I’m back to share the creative side of Joshua’s 6th birthday party. My little guy is so obsessed with anything super Mario bros, so it was no big surprise to me, that he wanted a Mario bros party.  For his invites I used paint shop pro and some web images and put this together

superjosh

I made about 18 Yoshi Loot bags, these Mario & Luigi hats. I handed out Mario mustaches at the door. (ignore the silly girls posing in the photo, Eloise, me, & barbara. The three primas)Thanks to Coolpartyblog.com for the free temps.

IMG_6429    IMG_1649[1]

We played Pin the mustache on Mario and Yoshi’s Egg toss. For this I made big poster’s. I took the images to my local Rhino Graphics and had them printed super Large, adhered them to some foam board. EZ-PZ! Here is the Yoshi’s egg toss one.

IMG_6535 IMG_6370

I could not find a theme related piñata, so I bought a regular piñata with balloons on it. Cut and paste a left over mario image and boom, done!

IMG_6405 IMG_6426

The cake was a bit of a dilemma.. Because this is some what a unique theme I could not just order a cake from a local bakery. I ordered a plain cake. Then ordered a cake topper on e-bay. Toppers are made of 100% frosting. The idea is to peel and stick. But lucky me, we are so close to the beach, we have lots of humidity. This made the design stick to the contact sheet. I had to use a blow dryer to dry it out but at the same time be careful not to melt the design. Eeek! It tore a little but not too noticeable.

IMG_6430

So I cheated, everything was not handmade.. I guess this was a semi-handmade party. in coordination with  some of my handmade decorations I used birthdaypartyexpress.com. Had to cut myself some slack, I only had 2 weeks to plan this gig.  They had the banner up top, table wear and balloons. The Banner now hangs in his room. We went with Italian food, you know Mario loves him some pasta & pizza! With the help of family we made spaghetti & meatballs, garlic bread, green salad and ordered in a few pizza’s. All in all it was a great day. The Birthday boy enjoyed himself thoroughly, and that’s what counts. I am slowly learning to give myself a break here and there. I guess you really can have your cake and eat it too. IMG_6453                                     Till the next time ~ Angela

1 comment:

  1. OMG...I'm planning a Super Mario Bros party too for my daughter!! She loves Princess Peach. How did you make the hats, mustaches and bags...they are so cute!! You are very creative Angela!!!

    ReplyDelete

Will craft for comments